Help Center

(Professionals) What are the documents to send so that I can receive my rental income?

Following the evolution of banking regulations against money laundering by the European Commission, our banking service provider requires SamBoat to implement new procedures called "KYC" (know your customer) for all professionals active on the platform.

This new regulation requires us to request some official documents from our professional partners and owners who have a business bank account for their boat. Without these documents, your payments will be blocked by our payment processing system on an escrow account in your name. It will take less than 10 minutes:

What documents do I need to provide? In addition to your ID or Passport and bank information,
-Proof of registration
-Shareholder Declaration
-Articles of association

You will be able to upload these from your personal space on your Samboat profile. 

ATTENTION: The documents provided must be in the following languages: French, English, German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. If the translation is not available in one of the above languages, an official translation will be required. Our service provider's legal team may request an official translation of a document if deemed necessary.